Have you ever dreamed of surfing on sand instead of water? Well, in the middle of the Sahara Desert lies a thrilling adventure that will make your dream come true. Sand surfing! Yes, you read it right – sand surfing is an exhilarating activity that has been gaining popularity among adventure enthusiasts from around the world. In this blog post, we’ll take you through everything you need to know about sand surfing and guide you to some of the best places to experience this unique sport in the Sahara. So get ready for an adrenaline-pumping ride because we’re about to dive into the exciting world of sand surfing!
What is sand surfing?
Sand surfing is an exhilarating activity that has been gaining popularity in recent years. It involves riding down sand dunes on a specially designed board, similar to snowboarding or skateboarding. The thrill of speeding down the slopes and feeling the wind rush past you is sure to get your adrenaline pumping.
Unlike traditional surfing, sand surfing doesn’t require any waves. Instead, it relies on steep hills of loose sand for its momentum. And while it may look easy from afar, balancing on a board while navigating through soft terrain requires good balance and coordination.
Sand surfing can be enjoyed by people of all ages and skill levels, making it a fun family activity or group adventure with friends. Not only does it provide an exciting experience, but it also allows participants to enjoy the breathtaking scenery of the desert landscape.
Sand surfing is a unique way to explore the Sahara Desert and create unforgettable memories with loved ones while getting some exercise at the same time.
The best places to sand surf in the Sahara
The Sahara Desert is a vast and beautiful landscape, offering endless opportunities for sand surfing. Here are some of the best places to experience this thrilling activity:
1. Erg Chebbi: Located in southern Morocco, Erg Chebbi boasts towering dunes that reach up to 500 feet high. This is one of the most popular destinations for sand surfing in the region.
2. Great Eastern Sand Sea: Stretching over 72,000 square kilometers across Egypt and Libya, this massive desert offers plenty of space for sand surfing enthusiasts.
3. Sossusvlei: Found in Namibia’s Namib-Naukluft National Park, Sossusvlei features some of the highest dunes on Earth – including one that stands at over 1,200 feet tall!
4. Siwa Oasis: Situated in western Egypt near the Libyan border, Siwa Oasis is home to numerous dunes perfect for sand surfing – as well as natural hot springs where you can relax after your adventure.
Whether you’re an experienced surfer or just looking to try something new on your next vacation, these locations offer unforgettable experiences that are sure to leave you breathless!
How to sand surf
Sand surfing, also known as sandboarding or dune boarding, is an exhilarating activity that requires a bit of practice and patience. Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Choose the right board: A good sandboard should be lightweight yet sturdy enough to withstand the rough terrain of the Sahara desert.
2. Wax your board: Applying wax on your board will help reduce friction between the board and the sand making it easier for you to glide down the dunes.
3. Find a suitable slope: Look for a gentle slope with soft sand that isn’t too steep nor too flat.
4. Strap in and lean back: Position yourself on your belly atop of your sandboard with both feet strapped in securely then lean back slightly into “surfer’s stance.”
5. Push off and ride down: With hands firmly planted in front of you, push off using one foot while keeping weight balanced on both feet then enjoy riding down!
Remember always wear protective gear like goggles, helmets, wrist guards, elbow pads among others when going for this thrilling adventure!
The benefits of sand surfing
Sand surfing in the Sahara is not only a thrilling and unforgettable experience but also has several benefits. Sand surfing provides an excellent cardiovascular workout as it requires continuous movement of the body. It helps to strengthen and tone muscles, especially in the legs, core and arms. Being outdoors surrounded by vast expanses of sand can improve mental wellbeing as it reduces stress levels and promotes relaxation.
Moreover, sand surfing gives you a chance to connect with nature and learn more about desert ecosystems while enjoying a unique adventure sport. It’s an activity that challenges your physical abilities while boosting your confidence levels.
If you’re looking for an exciting outdoor activity that combines adventure with fitness and relaxation while exploring one of the world’s most awe-inspiring landscapes then sand surfing in the Sahara is definitely worth considering!